Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Last First Day Of School

I just love back to school time. It stirs so many good memories of days gone by. You know, that butterfly feeling in your stomach, the smell and feel of autumn in the air, seeing all your friends again and wondering if there were any "new" kids. Then there were the new outfits, lunchboxes, school supplies and wondering what your new teachers and classes would be like. I remember it always took what seemed like forever to fall asleep that night before school started. Although I was anxious for school to start back up again this year, it definately is a bittersweet year for me. My "baby" is starting her senior year of high school so today is her last first day of school. It seems like she just started Kindergarten yesterday. Where has the time gone? I know this will be an exciting year for her and will fly right by but I will be sad to see these days go. But for now I will just enjoy every day and make the most of them and I know she will too. Happy Senior Year Brittany!


Here is Britt on her first day of Kindergarten 12 years ago!





And here she is her  first day of 12th Grade!






I can't let the first day of school go by without a shout out to two of my favorite teachers, Miss Brewer and Mrs. Shea.


Miss Brewer was my First Grade teacher (1968-1969) at John F. Kennedy Elementary School in Brewster, N.Y. She will always be my favorite teacher. She paved the way for my love of learning and reading and teaching. Mrs. Shea was my daughter's wonderful First Grade teacher and I had the extreme pleasure of working with her in Pre-K last year. She taught me so many wonderful and valuable things about teaching and life. She is a dear friend and person who I feel extremely blessed to know. The teacher reading to the students outside in the picture below(10th picture down) entitled The Growing Season by John Sloane reminds me so much of Mrs. Shea.




School days, School days
Dear old golden rule days




Readin' and 'ritin' and 'rithmetic
Taught to the tune of the hickory stick


You were my queen in calico
I was your bashful barefoot beau
And you wrote on my slate
"I love you, so"
When we were a couple of kids

Photo by Jessie Wilcox Smith


Back To School by John Sloane




First Day by John Sloane

John F. Kennedy Elementary School Brewster, N.Y.
My elementary school ,Kindergarten -5th Grade
The Growing Season by John Sloane

Little House On The Prairie Schoolhouse









Click below for the entire words and music to School Days by Gus Edwards/Will D. Cobb, 1907


Music and Lyrics to School Days

1 comment:

  1. Oh Cindy,
    What a beautiful post. What a darling little pic of Britt on her 1st day of K ~ she still has that amazing pose! Bless her beautiful heart. Good luck to her this year. Yes, it will go fast. I'm sure she'll enjoy every minute. Love the pics of the old schoolhouses! Brings back such memories. I remember my 1st teacher like it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete