Thursday, November 17, 2011

One Of My Favorite Poems

Even though this is a bit late I still wanted to post.




Something Told the Wild Geese



by Rachel Field





Something told the wild geese

It was time to go.

Though the fields lay golden

Something whispered,--"Snow."



Leaves were green and stirring,

Berries luster-glossed,

But beneath warm feathers

Something cautioned--"Frost."



All the sagging orchards

Steamed with amber spice,

But each wild breast stiffened

At remembered ice.



Something told the wild geese

It was time to fly,--

Summer sun was on their wings,

Winter in their cry.


1 comment:

  1. love this poem. I have always felt that each and every goose/geese were a personal friend of mine. I love their wild and unabandoned cries in the sky. always makes me feel bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete